Wednesday, August 15, 2012

We're all packed!!!

Everything is packed and ready for the double check in the morning!! I have so many emotions right now it's hard to articulate exactly how I'm feeling. This has been a week of many highs and lows!!

The fundraising party night!
  The biggest emotion I am feeling is overwhelming gratitude!! The support I have received from family, friends, and the community has been incredible. This past weekend my friends Andrea and Cynthia hosted a fundraising party to support the race! It was an awesome night with friends, hanging out at the pool and finishing with drinks around the campfire! A huge thank you to Andrea and Cynthia for organising it!!!
All the kids hanging out at the party




Also my sister, Sherra, contacted the local paper and told them our story. Rachel from the Guelph Mercury called me and interviewed me on Monday. I am still so honoured that they chose to run the story and very thankful for the donations and words of support from everyone. So thank you everyone for all your encouragement, stories, and support!! I really really appreciate it!!! 
http://www.guelphmercury.com/news/local/article/779545--guelph-woman-swimming-biking-running-for-a-cure

I'm also feeling a bit heavy and anxious. My Granddad had a stroke on Monday morning. He is in the hospital now and he's being well looked after so I know he is in good hands. He is a man I have always admired. He is 92 years old and until Monday has been caring for my Nana in their own place. He isn't on any medication and hasn't had an overnight hospital stay as long as I've known him. He was a German soldier who walked through Russia in the middle of winter while friends around him gave up. And he survived being a POW in England where he met my Nana on the other side of the fence. And when my Mom told my Granddad about my Dad's diagnosis he told her to never give up hope because a man isn't anything without hope. I admire his strength. So seeing him in the hospital while I was visiting him yesterday was hard. He told me that he'd be cheering me on this weekend and wished me all the best. And I've been thinking that somewhere maybe I have a little ounce of his determination and strength that I can use this Sunday.

I'm also feeling very nervous!!! I just reread some race reports and forums from people who raced the Mont Tremblant 70.3 in June. Every report says hills, hills, hills!!!! After tapering for the last few weeks I think I've forgotten all the training I've done and my mind is trying to trick me. I'm starting to feel like I'm not fit enough to do this and reading these stories is getting my heart - and stomach going. There really is nothing I can do about it now though - I just need to do my race!!

And last - I'm feeling very excited!!! I just want to do it. I just want to get out there and be on the start line. In reality I have worked hard for this day, I have sacrificed a lot of family time, and I do deserve to be there. So here I am at 11:00pm when I should be sleeping, but I'm excited and I just want to be there!!

So I want to thank everyone again for all the support. It has been truly overwhelming and I really hope I have good news to report!! I may get some time to blog again - I'm not sure what the next few days will bring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment