Monday, July 16, 2012


5 Weeks to go!!!!
This past week has flown by – and I don’t like that!! I feel like the secret to life is to slow it down but when I’m thinking about my next training session or the next time I get to sleep I stop enjoying where I am in the moment. That is actually part of our coach’s notes – racing in the moment. I’m trying to practice that in my training. Instead of dwelling on mistakes made earlier in the race – or dwelling on how many kms are ahead of you, just take the race moment by moment. So in training when my legs are burning and I want to stop - I just think about turning my legs over and over and over. Who knows how this will go in the marathon after 180km bike ride!!!! Just saying that gets me nervous!!!

This week my swimming got a little better – I managed to make 2 of my intended 4 swims. Not bad considering my past record!! I also did my first open water swim with the help of friends watching the kids to make it possible!!! Open water swimming does scare me but it is all in my head. I need to calm down and have the confidence that I can do it and I’m not going to drown J !! Big shout out to Dan who taught me about drafting during the swim. It makes a huge difference to hang behind someone’s feet and follow directly behind them. It also makes for a little game to find someone’s feet who you can draft off easily – the long 3.8km swim might go by a little faster!! After about 300m I’m hoping to get into a rhythm and just keep going. My mantra for the whole race will be the same as our race shirts “I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.” Phil 4:13.

I want to include some more pictures from the photo session we had at the bench during the celebration day for my Dad. Most of my Dad’s brother’s and his sister and my Grandma and Grandpa came for the day and we were able to get some wonderful photos – what a keepsake! We just got them this week and they are great!!














Here are the totals for the week. I think there is one more week of very heavy training – then we taper (maybe?).

So this past week July 9-15 totals:
RUN: 75.5kms (7hrs30min) – 1 session of hill repeats
BIKE: 304kms – (11hrs30min) – hill and flats with efforts (longest ride – 160kms)
SWIM: 5.5kms – one 3.5km pool swim and one 2km open water swim (2hrs10min)
Total training hours: 21hrs10mins

No comments:

Post a Comment